Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
SEND contacts at Eckington School
- SEND Director, Chorus Trust: is Ms L Demirkazik
- Special Educational Needs and Disability Coordinator (SENDCo), Eckington School: Mr J Marriott
- Assistant SENDCo, Eckington School: Ms P Ward
Telephone: 01246 432849 ext 308
Learning Support Team
The Learning Support Team at Eckington School are based in a designated area of the school site. The aim of the Learning Support Centre is to provide support to any students who may be experiencing difficulties with accessing their learning. The team has been established to help address and overcome any possible barriers to learning, both in the classroom and on an individual basis. The team is led by the school's SENDCo and other experts including the Early Help Team, heads of year, pastoral support assistants, teaching assistants, learning support mentors, and the Safeguarding Team.
The Learning Support Centre provides a space for group interventions in all areas of need. This may involve small group tutoring, a learning space for students unable to access lessons, a safe area for social times and specialist help to assist students with self-regulation when needed.
The team works closely with many outside agencies and has regular meetings with many of their representatives. Support in lessons and in small withdrawal groups is provided when needed for those students who have significant difficulties in making academic, emotional, and social progress when compared to their peers.
Our SEND policy and information report are based on the statutory Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Code of Practice and the following legislation:
- Part 3 of the Children and Families Act 2014, which sets out schools’ responsibilities for pupils with SEN and disabilities.
- The Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2014, which set out schools’ responsibilities for education, health and care (EHC) plans, SEND co-ordinators (SENDCos) and the SEND information report. This policy also complies with our funding agreement and articles of association.
Derbyshire County Council Local Offer
The Derbyshire local offer provides an information, support and advice website for children and young people aged 0 to 25 with SEND. The Derbyshire local offer website includes information on and help with:
- Early Years: finding help with development, learning behaviour and childcare.
- Education and Learning (5-16): education welfare and support services.
- Preparing for adulthood (16 – 25): information for young people moving into adulthood.
- Travel and transport: information regarding transport services.
- Health and well-being: local health support and wellbeing services.
- Directory of providers: find local SEND services.