Post-18 Careers Guidance
- University and the alternatives. UCAS guides to help understand the options available in the next step after school.
- Get a job: National Careers Service guide to getting a job.
- Preparing for an interview: help and resources from Barclays LifeSkills.
- Bright Knowledge: clear articles about different jobs, explaining a typical day, entry requirements, pay, best and worst bits about the job.
- Career ideas: the following websites will provide information on a range of specific careers:
- Job sites: the following sites can be used as well as recruitment agencies and employers’ own websites.
Taking a gap year
- UCAS: information about taking a gap yea, with gap year alerts available too
- Should I take a gap year? Information from Prospects about gap year possibilities.
- Legal and law internships: Information about roles in the legal profession and internships to gain experience.
- Internships and work placements: information about internships from Careerpilot.
- Special opportunities: Unifrog login in required for these, which mostly require payment – be aware of this.
- Working in a gap year: sign up with local recruitment agencies for temporary work to get experience. Agencies may specialise in the type of work they can offer you so check this before you sign up with them. Examples are Office Angels and Sue Ross Recruitment.
- Omio.com: lots of information about Gap years – from why to do one, to how to plan and how to enjoy one!
- Real Gap: travel, volunteering and work experience abroad.
- The Year Out Group: includes over 30 gap year organisations that provide opportunities at home and abroad.
- A-level explorer: online guidance from The Student Room showing where A-level combinations could lead to.
- UCAS: university admissions service as well as guidance and resources to help decision making.
- Apply to uni: information on applying for uni including tuition fees, open days, A-Z of universities.
- Whatuni?: helps students find universities and courses in the UK.
- Which? University: help with finding the best UK university and degree course for you.
- The Complete University Guide: information about university rankings, where and what to study, how to apply, student finance, student life, graduate careers, distance learning and studying abroad.
- The University Guide: The Guardian’s guide has information on courses and university rankings.
- The Good Universities Guide: print and online directory of universities and colleges.
- British Council: information for international students interested in studying in the UK.
- The National Admissions Test for Law (LNAT): is used by universities to select students for their law courses.
- The UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT): used in the selection process by a consortium of UK university Medical and Dental Schools.
- Uni Stats: compare and contrast university data to include student satisfaction and employability figures.
- Push: Information about options after sixth form.
- Studential: information on FE, gap year, HE, apprenticeship, enterprise and British Army options.
- Unipod: Oxford Brookes University’s guide to choosing a university, choosing the right course, organising finance, writing your personal statement, etc.
- The Student Room: advice on applying for universities and courses including a personal statement builder and ‘University Connect’ (recent examples of offers made).
- The Open University: offers degrees through distance learning.
- HESA: comprehensive data on UK higher education.
- People and Planet: annual rankings of UK universities by environmental and ethical performance.
- Careerpilot: aimed at 13-19-year-olds in SW England has general information about progression opportunities including higher education
- UCAS support for parents and carers.
- Sheffield Hallam University
- University of Sheffield
- University of Derby (also operating some sites in Chesterfield)
- A Star Future: information on studying in Europe and further afield.
- Top Universities: has information about studying abroad at leading universities.
- Studyportals: a Dutch company providing a range of information on undergraduate degrees taught in Europe.
- Fulbright Commission: information on studying in USA.
- Government of Canada: information on studying in Canada.
- Future Unlimited: the official Australian website for international students.
- Student Finance England: to sign up to Student Finance online.
- Government student finance information: for information about student finance and loans.
- The Student Room: has links to Student Finance England resources and the government finance websites of the other home nations.
- Student loans company: information on student finance and repayments.
- Martin Lewis Student Loans DeCoded
…and while at university, Student Beans can provide offers, discounts, entertainment features, advice and money saving opportunities.
- Apprenticeships general information: government website about apprenticeships and more, including a database of apprenticeships, traineeships and internships.
- The apprenticeship guide: concise summaries of every apprenticeship offered in England.
- The Higher and Degree Apprenticeships Guide
- Apprenticeships activity packs: from National Apprenticeship Week
- Apprenticeships parent packs
- Apprentice ambassador stories: hear apprenticeship experiences from apprentice ambassadors.
- Apprenticeships in Chesterfield: apprenticeship vacancy search tool. Site also includes apprentice providers in Chesterfield and case studies of current apprentices.
- Beetroot: search for apprenticeships.
- Not Going to Uni: explore apprenticeship opportunities.
- Amazing Apprenticeships: vacancies as well as monthly packs for parents to help them support the search for an apprenticeship.
- AMRC Training Centre: the University of Sheffield AMRC Training Centre offers a range of engineering apprenticeships.
- NHS apprenticeships.
- Law apprenticeships guide.
- What will look great on your application form.
- National Apprenticeship Week: annual event held in February with virtual and in-person events across the country.
- National Citizen Service Trust (NCS).
- The Conservation Volunteers: conservation volunteering opportunities.
- Vinspired: UK-wide youth volunteering programme
- Charity Job: specialist job board for the non-profit, NGO, social enterprise, CIC and voluntary sectors.
- NCVO (National Council for Voluntary Organisations): find out about the voluntary sector.
- Volunteering for Teens : advice about volunteering and why you should do it.
- Start your own business: 100 business ideas from Entrepreneur Handbook.